Bring Your Own Device
21st Century Learning at Mount Barker High School is currently running a BYOD program, which enables all students to have complete access to all learning materials and resources 24 hours a day. This is currently done through Daymap, which not only offers student access to all learning material, but allows parents to monitor and engage with their child’s learning in real time.
DECD provides Office 365/2016, for free, to all students. Instructions on how to install this software is provided when students start at Mount Barker High School.
Some of the advantages of the BYOD program to your child are:
· The technology is available to the student all day at school, so learning is not limited by availability of high demand school resources
· Devices can be smaller, more convenient to carry and are generally more easily accessible
· Provides consistent and more up-to-date access to ICT, allowing students to view e-textbooks, videos, educational apps, online research, digital learning apps
· Seamless integration between home and at school, leading to more consistent application to school work (assuming a suitable broadband connection at home)
· Students have complete control of their own devices and are not obliged to return them at the end of a lesson or a day, thus reducing time wasted by booking or returning equipment.
· Research suggests that when students have ownership of their devices, engagement in learning increases, ICT skills improve and students become more versatile in the way they demonstrate their learning outcomes
· Students can become more autonomous learners, improving their self-reliance and resilience, which provides a more solid grounding for higher learning and employment
We believe this BYOD system is the best possible solution to maximising your child’s learning outcomes, as his/her device will be able to connect with the school Daymap platform any time at home and at school.
21st Century Learning